Monday, December 29, 2008

Quote of the week: Chinese proverb

I've read so many Chinese proverbs that I am of the thinking that all they did was think of cute things to say and note them. Off course that is just a joke but the Chinese are a very intellectual people and have long showered the rest of the world with cute quotes to live by.

What astonishes me even more is that the original authors of the quotes are seldom noted. Almost like the quotes just fell from the sky to occupy the pages of a book or in their case, Chinese scrolls.

So here is the quote of the week; I don't know why I call it quote of the week, since it isn't really weekly but done randomly as quotes come my way. It is timely, so cliché eh... The quote speaks about going through tribulations in order to grow as a person and that all in all we should see those difficulties as making us better,stronger individuals.

"A gem is not polished without rubbing, nor a man made perfect without trials"

I have also seen it written as: "A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials"

I guess i should reflect on this quote whenever i am going through personal obstacles and see that the end might just justify the means...

Hats off to the Chinese for this one...

Nest@

No comments: