Wednesday, December 17, 2008

I am only One: Quote (poem) of the week


Responsibility is a funny thing, alot of people embrace it but even more shun or hide from it. Some say its because of fear of failure but I remember reading that it is mostly because of fear of success and even more added responsibility from that particular sucess.

I have never been one to hide from responsibility (except at my workplace, but that is a different story altogether, one of sour grapes, lol). Responsibility indicates a certain level of dependability; a responsible person is a dependable one. This brings me to a poem by Edward Everett Hale:

I am only one
But still I am one.
I cannot do everything
But still I can do something;
And because I cannot do everything
I will not refuse to do the something that I can do

I think the poem illustrates that although we might seem little in number (one) there are still things that we are capable of and we must do these things to the best of our abilities. It also speaks of doing something even if you cant achieve everything, that is to say that every little bit of effort counts in the big picture. The poem speaks of taking responsibility and doing what we are capable and not holding back or refusing.

No comments: