Wednesday, December 17, 2008

What's in my cd player right now?

Again I have to laugh because I do not have a cd player but that's not really the point. Lately I've been listening to a lot of conscious music, mainly reggae and a little rap. Yes, readers there is some level of consciousness in rap music just listen to Common, Talib Kweli, Lauryn Hill and some others. Even Tupac is on my list of conscious rappers.

Don't get me wrong, I find the time to listen to alot more but when I need that emotional, motivational spark, i just put my cellphone in my pocket attach it to my headphones and on i go, especially when I am writing poetry.

I have had Duane Stephenson's August Town Cd ever since it came out, by the way i downloaded it then i actually purchased the original cd, a very first for me, lol. I really only paid attention to a few songs on the cd, off course the more commercially played tracks like August Town, Ghetto Pain, Cottage in Negril and Fairy Tale. Lately another of his songs have caught my attention though, Mr. Babylon or Mr. B, as written in the track list.

The song speaks about the treatment of black people from slavery and present day and how the Massa are now unhappy with Black people. There is a point in the song where he says:

Mr. B you use to smile before,
we are no friend no more,
we use to cool when Mamma sweep de floor,
but all of a sudden we not idren (brethren) no more,
but then again i'm no longer poor

Another part in the song that I love speaks about the controversial marijauna and its use for "medicinal purposes" by persons of "higher" knowledge:

Mr B you fight we purple haze
while the whole world is in a herbal craze
you must be going through a bad mind phase
or u just hate we tru a rasta we praise
and your dirty babylon we a go blaze

But only Jah knows

If you run across the CD give it a listen, it will surely surprise you.

nest@

No comments: