Friday, July 25, 2008

too BLACK?

Cant remember where i got this from but felt the need to share it because i am a proud black west indian/dominican

They take my kindness for weakness.
They take my silence for speechless.
They consider my uniqueness strange.
They call my language slang.
They see my confidence as conceit.
They see my mistakes as defeat.
They consider my success accidental.
They minimize my intelligence to "potential".
My questions mean "I'm unaware".
My advancement is somehow unfair.
Any praise is preferential treatment.
To voice concern is discontentment.
If I stand up for myself, I'm too defensive.
If I don't trust them, I'm too apprehensive.
I'm defiant if I separate.
I'm fake if I assimilate
Yet, constantly I am faced with hate.
My character is constantly under attack.
Pride for my race makes me, "TOO BLACK".
Yet, I can only be me. And, who am I you might ask?
I am that Strong Black Person...
Who stands on the backs of my ancestor's achievements,
with an erect spinepointing to the stars with pride, dignity and respect
which lets the world know,
that I not only possess the ability to play by the rules,
but I can make them as well!

2 comments:

Athenia Henderson said...

This poem touched me
Thanks for sharing

Unknown said...

i like this one