Wednesday, September 24, 2008

What's in my cd player right now

I'm taking a moment to laugh a bit cause i dont really have a cd player but i listen to music from my laptop, either way it plays music right?

I have a diverse collection of music from Caribbean soca, calypso, bouyon, zouk, cadence, reggae, dancehall and Hip Hop as well. My range of international music isn't much besides a few french songs that i fell in love with, well actually just one song, lol.

But right now, I've gone a little old school, well its old school in Hip Hop, but when we think of old school music, it's not that old. I've been listening to Lauryn Hill's first album "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill." I actually have all her solo albums and none of the Fugees group efforts, i dont know why though.

I remember when this album just came out, i had it on cassette and i played it everyday for months. There was this neighbour of mine in Pound, Kennedy Avenue, where i lived at the time, who i had a crush on, for the purpose of protection i wont disclose who she is and i played and sang that album to her every day, through her windows though, u know how Pound is, every house is so close you can hear what people are saying in their house. So this love continued for months. Anyways, to cut a long story short, it didnt work out, teenage crushes or love stories hardly ever do anyway.

Just a few weeks ago, i heard one of her songs and immediately it brought me back to those moments too, so i went on my laptop and downloaded the album, off course by now, cassettes are almost obsolete, so i wont be caught dead with one, lol. So again, ive been playing the album almost daily, feeling the positive vibes too.

My favourite songs on the album, although i like them all, are:
To Zion
Lost Ones
Ex-Factor
Superstar
When it hurts so bad
Forgive them Father
Every Ghetto, Every City
Nothing even matters

aye, i said i liked them all, lol. That's what i call a classic album when you can put it in and just press play and not have to skip a song because every one of them is enjoyable and you replay each song two or even three times because you dont want the moment to end. So right now that's what i am listening to and my favourite of favourite songs is playing:To Zion,and my favourite verse just passed too (gonna play it again too):

Unsure of what the balance held
I touched my belly overwhelmed
By what I had been chosen to perform
But then an angel came one day
Told me to kneel down and pray
For unto me a man child would be born
Woe this crazy circumstance
I knew his life deserved a chance
But everybody told me to be smart
Look at your career they said,"Lauryn, baby use your head"
But instead I chose to use my heart

I like that verse because i too feel that my mother chose to listen to her heart, thank God she didnt have an abortion, thank God.

Nesta

No comments: