Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Canna Park here?

The National Youth Council, in an effort to build on the success of the 2008 Walk for Education, organized a Walk for Youth from Picard, Portsmouth to Canna Park, Capuchin on Saturday May 30, 2009.

As President, off course I had to participate in the walk along with some of the members of the Executive Committee. I was really disappointed in the turnout on the day especially since I was "reliably" informed that over 40 people had registered. I guess registration doesn't include payment or participation, i should have known better.

That didn't dampen my spirit or any of the other participant's spirit on the day though, as we made our way to Possie from about 5:00 a.m. from Roseau. I was up from about 3:30 a.m. rounding up the NYC members and waiting on some people in Roseau (most of them didnt even show up).

By the time we got to Portsmouth it was almost 6:00 a.m. and we quickly distributed t-shirts, drinks and had a collective prayer and we were off to Capuchin. Capuchin is the most northerly of villages in Dominica and gives a perfect view of 3 out of the 4 islands in the Guadeloupe Archipelago (Marie Galante, the Saints and Guadeloupe) with only La Desirade too far for the eye sight.

The walk was really spirited with participants having tin cans in hand soliciting donations from members of the general public to assist with a youth project in the North Youth District. It would have been nice to have more young people especially those from the Northern communities participate in the walk but i guess you can't always have your wish.

The North is usually laden with fruits but on that day, we were left to struggle to find mangoes, cacoa, kenip and soursop. Most of the fruits on the trees were immature as it wasn't the "season" for picking or eating. I remember as a little boy eating those very fruits even when they were immature but then again as a man they would probably have a bad effect on the stomach, lol. No diarrhea for me.

We made the walk to Capuchin in about 3 hours and collected almost $300 dollars in donations. I was expected Canna Park to be like most other parks in Dominica, a football or cricket field surrounded by Flamboyant (Shak Shak tree). At Canna though, I was greeted by two donkeys; one alive and carrying plantain and the other, well dead. It was just the remnants of the donkey's skull.

The thing that I will most take back from this experience was the skull and off course the view from Canna Park. The walk was worth it although i prefer to hike in the rainforests and overall I would probably do it again, except this time I would want a little bit of rain. I don't know but I just prefer walks or hikes when the good Lord blesses me with a rainshower. There's nothing to compare to a good old Dominica rainfall.

Nesta

No comments: