Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Quote of the week: Frederick Douglas

I chose to highlight a quote from Mr. Frederick Douglas this week because I can hardly believe that February went by without this blog's recognition of Black History Month. I have been so preoccupied about so many things that I simply forgot the significance of February and in a move to ask for forgiveness I am highlighting a quote from an abolitionist, author, orator, statesman and so much more.

He will forever be linked with Black and American history as the first black man to seek election as a Vice President in America on the same ticket with the first woman to seek the Presidency of the USA.

He was frequently heard to utter the following words: "I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong." but this is not the quote I would like to highlight in this blog.
He had a number of other famous quotes; one which I have often recited myself: "There is no progress without struggle" even before I knew who the orator was and I grew even prouder when I found out who I was actually quoting. But the quote of this week is:
"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men"
I think the quote in itself is clear, putting more emphasis on raising our children right than correcting them when they become adults through judicial and prison systems. I think the Bible also mentioned something along those same lines in Proverbs 22:6 "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."
So many people have sung that song and the message is even true today as we see the breakdown in so many societies across the globe. Let's hope this present generation takes heed and takes time to really train its children...

For more Frederick Douglas quotes
For more Frederick Douglas information

Nest@

No comments: