Monday, July 16, 2012

Postcard Paradise



Go back to about five (5) years ago and I was searching down my house for boxes - shoe boxes to be exact, to place my over five thousand (5000) postcards. Postcards from various countries, of almost every image imagineable (although I prefer nature and cultural imagies).

Now fastforward to July 2012 and i'm wondering what happened, especially since I stumbled upon (well actually I was invited by a friend to check it out) STAMPS - a facebook page dedicated to Jadah Smith's stamp collection. She's a fellow blogger as well. Check out her blog here.

The view of the stamps from various countries brought an immediate nostalgic feeling, then a want which quickly grew into a NEED for me to re-start my postcard collection. I jumped off my bed and scrambled to a corner in my room to find a small box of postcards... I had one lowly box left though :( and just over 100 postcards left. I had thrown some away, giving away more, used a few in letters as well as lost more than I had thought. A collection that spanned over 5 years of effort down to a mere century of images. But that didn't trouble my heart, it only spurred me into action.

So I've decided to resume my postcard collection but now I'm not just collecting from countries that I've visited, I WANT and NEED postcards from every country across the globe. All one hundred and nintey six (196) of them. I know the UN only recognizes 193 but I'm not a diplomat so I'm also including Kosovo, Taiwan and the Vatican City in my list as well.

But first things first, if you have any postcards (new or used) please send them to me. My address is:

56 Lime Street
Bath Estate
Roseau,
Commonwealth of Dominica
West Indies

Soon I will put up a blog post about the missing countries but for now i'm accepting every single postcard that I can get my hands on!!!

I may just highlight your contribution on my blog or my Postcard Paradise facebook page, be sure to check it out. There's isn't much to see right now as I only recently started it, but soon I will be posting postcard pics from EVERY country in the WORLD.

Nesta

1 comment:

Rum-Punch Drunk said...

That's a great idea to get people to send you postcards from around the world. I'm sure you'll get some beautiful scenery, exotic places and wonderful architecture to look at.

There was a blogger who did something similar because they were seriously ill and the internet was their only point of contact so they got people to send them postcards each month. It really lifted their mood.

I hope you don't mind me saying this, but it might be advisable to get a PO Box number instead of your address, due to spammers, trolls and unsavory people etc..