Friday, August 7, 2009

Weekend of Word Power


Wow, this week passed by so quickly, with the holiday on Monday and everything else at work I almost didn't have time to take a bath (just kidding). The week has been mixed though, I finally put my final thoughts together and the first completed draft of my soon to be published book of poems (One Room Shack) is ready the for the editing table. If only I had someone who could edit it for me and as usual, as I am typing this post a friend comes to mind, Celia Sorhaindo, I think I will contact her.
Another thing also comes to mind, she just emailed me about the 2nd Annual Nature Island Book Fair and Literary Festival. If you're an avid follower of my blog, you would know that my first public poetry performance was at the inaugural festival and Celia even took photos (thanks again Celia).

I am not up for any scheduled performance this year, there is a rotation in place, but I intend to stick around for the open-mic sessions and seize the opportunity. I have some new work that I would like feedback about and I definitely want to get the crowd reaction from one or two of them.

The Fair/Festival officially begins today but I have been at the UWI Dominica Campus since Wednesday participating in a creative writing workshop behing facilitated by Jamaican author, best seller and professor Colin Channer. It is, so far, a wonderful and enlightening experience. With thousands of ideas running through my head, I am looking forward to starting my first short story but I want to ensure that my book of poems sees the light of day before I change focus. I have already begun my second book of poems and working with the title And Then There Was Nesta, a small derivation of my blog.

So now that I have been able to relate my week activities and even my future endeavours, if you are in Dominica this weekend, please stroll across the Botanic Gardens to the UWI compound to enjoy the best of local, regional and international poetry, short story, music and cultural performances. There will lots of books on display and for sale as well, hopefully next year my first book will be there as well.

Nesta

1 comment:

Maureen said...

Looking forward to reading 'One Room Shack' Keep up the great work that you are doing...

RESPECT...!!!