Thursday, May 12, 2011

Father, Teach Me To Pray

This is my newest poem; still in edit mode, might still might change it around some time soon.





Father, Teach Me To Pray



By Delroy Nesta Williams





I want to revisit my youth,


Go back in time.


Just to talk to my father,


There is this question that I need him to answer.


Daddy, why you never taught me to pray?





As I reflect,


I’ve heard you curse,


I even saw you smoke,


But I can’t remember a word of prayer


That you spoke!





But Father I ask that you hold my hands,


Force my knees to the floor,


And to the heavens, stretch out my arms.


Recite to me the Lord’s Prayer


Or just scream out Proverbs and Psalms.





All I have to go by right now


Are the teachings of my mother,


Her words were comfort to my ear


And the lessons still linger.





But I would still like to know


The thoughts of my father.


No comments: